Sunday, June 22, 2008

Why do we make these pages anyways?

So, I'm kinda wondering what I'm getting myself into, now having 3 blogs to upkeep. What is the appeal for people to want to put so much of themselves out there on the internet? I have a theory. We don't do as much talking, nowadays, as people used to do. We text, we email, we IM. We abbreviate everything, from OMG and LOL, to using DVR to cut out commercials and down time on TV. All this abbreviating and shortening, doesn't leave us room to open ourselves up and share. If we're always making things shorter, how are we going to remember to stop and take the time to share more of ourselves, when it would make a conversation longer? I've seen many, and been guilty myself, of spending an extra 10 minutes texting plans with someone, rather than picking up the phone for 2 minutes and talking it out. I've known people who have missed opportunities, been left without a ride, and gotten their feelings hurt, all because they relied on text messages or emails instead of picking up the phone. When did we become so afraid to pick up the phone? Anyways, I think that this reason is a big contributor to why we spend our days and hours creating pages and upkeeping blogs and myspace pages and such. Because, though our lives have become so techno-savvy and efficient that we find a lesser need to talk to each other, we all still want to be heard.

No comments: